When the urge hits for chocolate gooey-ness, why does it always come when my mom and her electric mixer are nowhere in sight? In fact they are usually in bed when my roommates and I decide that dense fudginess must be obtained NOW.
Enter the One-Bowl Chocolate Cake that my mom sent our way… (Instead of her Kitchen Aid mixer…) It is easy to mix up and bakes in only 30 minutes!
And because Ur Mom never rests, it uses buttermilk and hardly any oil. And whole-wheat pastry flour, which nearly killed the deal for me, but actually works out quite nicely…
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup hot strong black coffee, or hot water
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
Powdered sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coat a 9 inch cake pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with a circle of wax paper.
Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
Add buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, oil and vanilla. Whisk vigorously several minutes.
Add hot liquid and whisk to blend. The batter will be thin.
Mix in the chocolate chips and pour into the pan.
Bake until a toothpick comes out clean or about 30 minutes.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and peel off the wax paper.
Dust with powdered sugar and eat immediately!
Recipe from eatingwell.com.
The Versatile Blogger Award
We are so fortunate to be friends with Memoria of Mangio da Sola. She is one of my teachers at the University of Texas, and she has been very supportive and encouraging of our blogging efforts! We are so honored to be recognized with this award by someone who is as experienced and successful as she is. Her blog is welcoming and informative and we love the variety of dishes that she makes! Thank you for thinking of us!
The guidelines for accepting this award are:
Thank the person who gave it to you.
Tell 7 things about yourself.
Pass the award on to 15 bloggers whom you have recently discovered and think are fantastic.
Seven Facts about the Girls at Like Mother Like Daughters:
1. College Girl wants to be a dancer on Broadway. She was actually in NYC this week for Rockette camp.
2. College Girl can eat more steak in one sitting than most men we know.
3. Working Girl is currently employed by a social media consultancy. Otherwise, she may have never considered blogging (or getting a Twitter account).
4. Working Girl is mom to a ridiculous pug, Trixie, who will turn 5 this September. (Gasp!)
5. Ur Mom shops on television.
6. Ur Mom has been married to Ur Dad for 30 years.
7. All of us put God and then family at the center of our lives.
Fifteen Bloggers We Have Only Recently Discovered (and We Really Like!):
1. Salad-in-a-Jar: She keeps it in the family, just like us.
2. Food for a Hungry Soul: Grounded and real.
3. Grow. Cook. Eat.: Cooks from her CSA box. Nuff said!
4. Life’s a Feast: All about family…Gets us every time!
5. Lisa is Cooking: Inspiring local girl makes good!
6. The Pink Apron: We have a little thing for aprons around here, so we were drawn in instantly…
7. Stirring the Pot: She likes Emeril and Mario, so she can’t go wrong with us.
8. Sweet Kat’s Kitchen: Straight up sweets all the time.
9. Tangled Noodle: Lots of yummy Asian-inspired dishes. (Plus, she luvs her dog, and we can identify with that…)
10. The Wednesday Chef: She cooks the recipes of famous guys, and provides honest reviews on each one.
11. Tomato Kumato: Because of Tomato Paella!
12. Vanilla Sugar: Got us with Cape Cod, but she kept us with her beautiful pictures and yummy, no-nonsense recipes.
13. You’re Gonna Bake It After All: The Mary Tyler Moore reference is irresistible, and so are the recipes. Blueberry Vanilla Cupcakes with Blueberry Ganache? Ummm yeah, don’t mind if I do…
14. Picky Cook: Vegetarian food that everyone can relate to.
15. Life with Landry: She was the first one to cook our food, plus we just plain luv her!
These are blogs that we just came across… There are many more that got us started, keep us going and continually take our breath away! A few more of our favorites are listed here on our home page, but this award makes us realize that the list probably needs some updating. Thanks again Memoria, and thanks to all of you out there cooking and writing!